The private residence of Nelson G. Reynolds was built in 1874, and was the former second home of the Sheriff of Ontario County. It is now a school located on Byron and Dunlop Street. The structure was built to be a smaller replica of his first home Trafalgar Castle, and this is where Iron’ Reynolds retired to. In the end he was bed ridden, and he passed away in 1881. He was 66 when he died.
Nelson Gilbert Reynolds had been appointed to the position of Sheriff of Ontario County by the Honourable John Ross. According to a write-up in Paranormal Frontiers this officer "experienced many interesting moments in Canadian history including the William Lyon MacKenzie revolt in Toronto in the chilly month of December 1837. He also chased after American "Patriots" who were apparently planning an invasion. It was almost as if ‘Iron’ Reynolds was Ontario’s version of RCMP Officer Sam Steele or the real Canadian hero."
The first recorded ghosts and haunting report at this location took place in 1977. The owner Peter Solyom reported in a newspaper article that he heard strange noises when alone in the building, including disembodied voices. Eventually the voice made itself known as the deceased Sheriff Reynolds who told the startled listener about the history of the building.
More voices came through and apparently included that of an old distiller during the prohibition period named Harry Hatch. This spirit claimed one "Al Capone had visited the building to purchase to bootlegger’s liquor business." Both of the identified spirits claimed that they were looking for people.
There are no modern ghost reports from this location. And no reports at all since it has become a school.
Paranormal Frontiers - Whitby Ghosts October 2003